In light of the circumstances in Afghanistan and the incoming Afghan refugees being processed through Fort Lee and relocating to the Fourth District, I wanted to provide resources for constituents looking to help those coming to America. Here are some ways to help Afghans in the Commonwealth, as well as how our office can help assist with Visa and Immigration cases.
How To Open A Case With Our Office:
Residents of the 4th Congressional District of Virginia can contact us for assistance in dealing with Federal agencies. The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a) requires that Members of Congress or their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case. We must have your signature to proceed with this type of request. Our Privacy Release Form is now available either online or as a physical form.
To submit your Privacy Release online, please click here.
To print your form and return by mail or fax, please click here, sign and mail to our office.
Please include all pertinent information and claim numbers in your correspondence—such as:
- Your Social Security number for a case involving Social Security;
- VA claim number for a case with Department of Veterans Affairs;
- Taxpayer identification number (Social Security number, if individual) for an Internal Revenue Service problem, etc.;
- Your address, home phone number and daytime phone number (if different than home) so that we can obtain any additional information from you that might be necessary;
- Copies of any related documents or correspondence that you may have from the agency involved
To our veterans and servicemembers, you are not alone. It is important to prioritize your mental health. If you are in need of assistance, please see the following resources.
- Dial 1-800-273-8255 and press 1
- Visit http://VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat
- Text: 838255
Local & National Organizations Helping Afghans. There are countless organizations that are working to assist Afghan refugees, both in the DMV area and throughout the nation. If you would like to help these individuals, please see a list of some of the organizations leading the effort:
- Lutheran Social Services
- International Rescue Agency / IRS Richmond
- Host A Refugee with AirBnB
- Muslim Association of Virginia
- Women for Women
You can also find a list of resettlement agencies and affiliate contacts at www.wrapsnet.org
For my statements on the recent developments in Afghanistan, see our press releases below:
- McEachin Issues Statement Following Explosions, Casualties in Afghanistan
- McEachin Issues Statement on Taliban Takeover of Afghanistan Presidential Palace
- McEachin Issues Statement Following Selection of Fort Lee to Receive Afghan Allies
- McEachin Helps Pass Legislation to Increase Cap to Special Immigrant Visas for Afghan Allies